Saturday, October 30, 2010

Post 4.

    At sixteen I know a girl who lost her self esteem and her mom felt as though it was her personal quest to help her find it.  I'm describing my sixteen year old daughter Danielle, who is a young mommy.  And I'm the mom who believes finally I found her self esteem.  As a sixteen year old mom, the other students your age in school don't cut you much slack.  Everyday someone is telling you what a screw up you are.  When at sixteen we all know that just because you do not have a baby on your hip, this does not mean you have not had sex.  But maybe it's the fear of the whole truth that effects these young people who are so critical of those who have been caught.  These young adults that makeup a large part of my daughters daily intended academic timetable.  Have had a large part in the lose of her self esteem.
     For to years I studied her intently trying to figure out what her interests were and what she did well. I decided at that point to enroll her at the Rock Star Academy.  I started her off in guitar and drum lessons and then we worked in a couple singing lessons.  After the second singing lesson she was invited to a band practice.  She sang the first night, the band lost the singer and so she then was asked to become the lead singer.  Her self esteem has improved and she couldn't be happier being involved in something that is so cool.  Her band has performed several shows locally in the Flint area. And let me say, they sound awesome and they love what they are doing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxk_SG3RnR8

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome. You were obviously very drawn to helping your daughter improve her self esteem. I have seen many kids that are torn down by others. They have no one to turn to, so they think, and so they turn to drugs or worse. It is good to see that another teen was helped before there was no going back for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more about the fact that because a teen may not have a baby, does not mean he/she is NOT having sex.

    ReplyDelete