Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Teen Pregnancy

     At fourteen a girl is swept off her feet by a boy well into his sixteenth year of life.  The boy, who has  already experienced many things in his teenage years thinks of having sex equivalent to going out for an ice cream sunday.  This young girl is asked again and again to just do it, to have sex.  Many times in months to follow she refuses, but the escalating pressure is such that she finally gives in.  At fourteen and nine months this young girl finds herself scared and pregnant.  The weeks to follow are weeks she would never want to relive, filled with the hardest decision of her life.  The church always preached about life,  the man on the corner had a sign that had a picture of a fetus that was aborted, cut up on a blood soaked towel.  And I myself, her mother believe if she were pregnant it is because God already chose life for her unborn child.  And the rest of the family, well,  they believe in abortion, especially in her situation, or at the very least adoption.   Night after night for two weeks she cried I told every one to leave her be, I knew this decision was one she had to make on her own.  I explained to her the effects, and the consequences her decision would have.  I also explained how the consequences of her decision would effect the rest of her life, no matter what she decided.  I also let her know I would support any choice she made and do my very best to help her with her needs.                      This situation has turned our lives upside down.  But I must say to wake up every morning with my beautiful Grandson Marley's big smile and hugs and kisses, I know she made the right decision.  I am unemployed and care for my Marley full time while my Daughter finishes her high school education.  I will never regret the sacrifices we've made.  Now at sixteen my daughter is an excellent mother.  She has given up all of her friends for her life as a mother, and is focusing on her education.  I'm afraid the father has not sacrificed as she has.  And I know there are times she feels very alone, but she brushes it off and stays focused. http://www.mtv.com/shows/teen_mom/season_2/series.jhtml

3 comments:

  1. Wow what a story! It seems like your daughter has a good head on her shoulder now. I hope she knows how lucky she is to have a great mom on her side to support her with her decisions and to help her with the outcome of her decisions. A lot of girls don't have any or very little support when they are a teen mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you tell the story from your daughter's point of view. Many times we see teen girls as promiscuous and looking for sex instead of scared girls who experience pressures who often are not aware of. This situation would be extremely difficult for anyone and I admire your strength and unselfish support for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I personally know a lot of pregnant teenagers myself. I know it must be hard trying to take of a baby and can't even really take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete